Sunday, October 17, 2010

First Thoughts for 2011

In the middle of Florida's Second Spring I'm already thinking about next year! I think I'm saying good bye to growing veggies! Maybe a few tomato plants but nothing else.

My beans appear to have blight, the carrots are doing alright but the yield almost isn't worth the effort - and really, I don't have the space to grow crops sufficiently to feed us.

Soooooo, it's flowers and plants! With annuals I don't even have to worry about them not being portable! All I need is seeds and lots of seed trays.

Of course, there will be Marigold! Nothing is easier to propagate from seeds and technically, all it takes is one single pack of seeds to start the first batch, then take seeds from the spent blooms!



 
There will also be African Daisy. I got a packet with mixed colors/varieties and they look absolutely adorable! It's a low growing variety so I'm planning on tucking them in here and there for splashes of color.



Impatiens for the shady areas in the Front Garden and possibly for the window boxes there. The most part of the Front Garden doesn't get any direct sun at all. The Caladiums have done very well in the shade there but they don't look that great in window boxes.




Statice! Heat tolerant, likes full sun! Perfect for the Back Garden and parts of the Front and Side Garden. What I love most about them is they make lovely bouquets that keep very well during the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment