Sunday, October 24, 2010

Azaleas

I have a love-hate relationship with azaleas - actually it's more hate and very little love.

When we moved into our  house in 2005, there was a huge overgrown azalea hedge infront of the living room window. The previous owner felt that azaleas should never be pruned and should be allowed to grow freely. The results were very leggy plants with no foliage on the lower parts and heavy blooms on the top. Ugly!

So we cut them down low enough to be able to see through the window and we were left with a bunch of leggy sticks with a leaf here and there - more ugly! I wanted to get rid of them altogether and install more contemporary landscaping. Hubby didn't agree so the azaleas stayed and are still there to this day.

Now believe it or not but I do have azalea cuttings that I took last weekend! Same hot pink color! I don't want an entire hedge anymore but for sentimental reasons, a little azalea bush in the front yard would be nice!

So, the cuttings are doing fine in their little green house and will do my very best to keep them alive and get them to root.

No comments:

Post a Comment