Saturday, October 9, 2010

Update on "the other" croton

Update on "the other" croton

I took this cutting on September 24 from what was previously known as "Mystery Plant #2". I raise all my cuttings in miniature greenhouses. They are home made from old nursery pots with a cut-off soda bottle as top. These things work great and I never have to worry about the cutting drying out. This deserves its own post! Anyway, the cutting above had been pinched several weeks before I took the cutting. Pinching the top growth encourages branching, especially important since crotons tend to become leggy.


Now below is the same cutting today, about 2 weeks later:

You can see where it was pinched. To the left and right to the pinched off top you can see how the plant has branched and formed new growth.

Sure, the rooting hormone helps but is probably not responsible for this rapid growth. This guy didn't receive any fertilizer, nor did I water him. I like to think that the little greenhouses are soley responsible for this success!

No comments:

Post a Comment